1) Tag Axle – A dead Axle situated behind the Drive Axle.
2) Pusher Axle – A dead axle located immediately in front of a drive axle.
|Tata 3723 Rigid Chassis Truck with Tag Axle|
|Ashok Leyland 3723 Rigid Chassis Truck with Pusher Axle|
Tag Axle has few advantages over Pusher Axle:-
1) Tag Lift Axle gives 150mm-180mm ground clearance as there is no propeller shaft to restrict its lift. In Pusher lift Axle, “lift” gets restricted to 120 mm.
2) Turning radius of vehicle is reduced considerably by using a “Tag Axle”. Since both Tag & Pusher axles are self steered, Pusher Axle being in front has more turning angle hence larger turning radius.
3) Having a Tag Axle gives you choice of having multiple wheelbases (Hence choice of different Cargo Deck Length) of the vehicle as it eliminates major redesigning of the vehicle.
4) Weight get evenly distributed when the Tag Axle is lifted as compared to the Pusher Axle which put extra Load on Drive Axles when in Lift Position. Tata 3723 is fitted with anti theft feature by which the “Tag Axle” if in lift position comes down automatically when the engine is turned off. This is to prevent theft of Tyres which can be easily removed when in lift position.Also the moment vehicle is put in reverse gear the lift axle is raised automatically to prevent dragging of Tyre while reversing.